1184.108.40.206 Secured Holding Room
When a secure holding room is provided, it shall meet the following requirements. The location of the secure holding room(s) shall facilitate staff observation and monitoring of patients in these areas. The secure holding room shall have a minimum clear floor area of 60 square feet (5.57 square meters) with a minimum wall length of 7 feet (2.13 meters) and a maximum wall length of 11 feet (3.35 meters). This room shall be designed to prevent injury to patients:
- All finishes, light fixtures, vents, diffusers, and fire protection/alarm components shall be tamper resistant and ligature resistant.
- There shall not be any electrical outlets, medical gas outlets, or similar devices.
- There shall be no sharp corners, edges, or protrusions, and the walls shall be free of objects or accessories of any kind.
- Patient room doors shall swing out and shall have hardware on the exterior side of the door only. The minimum width shall be 44 inches (1120 mm).
- A small impact-resistant view panel or window shall be provided in the door for discreet staff observation of the patient.