// CODE SNIPPET
118.104.22.168.4 Seclusion Room
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Capacity. Each room shall accommodate only one patient.
- Layout and access. Seclusion rooms shall be accessed through an anteroom or vestibule that also provides access to a toilet room. The door openings to the anteroom and the toilet room shall have a minimum clear width of 3 feet 8 inches (1118 mm).
- The room(s) shall be located to permit observation from the nurse station.
- Seclusion rooms shall be permitted to be grouped together and may share a common vestibule/anteroom.
Seclusion rooms shall have a minimum clear floor area of 60 square feet (5.57 m2) with a minimum wall length of 7 feet (2134 mm) and a maximum wall length of 11 feet (3353 mm).
Seclusion rooms shall be designed and constructed in compliance with the following requirements:
- The walls, ceiling, and floor of the seclusion room shall be designed to withstand direct and forceful impact. If padded materials are used inside the room, they shall meet the interior finish requirements in Chapter 8, Interior Finishes, of this code.
- Minimum ceiling height shall be 9 feet (2743 mm).
- Door hardware shall be ligature resistant.
- The entrance door to the seclusion room shall swing outward.
- Doors shall permit staff observation of the patient through a view panel while also maintaining provisions for patient privacy. The maximum sill height shall be 36 inches (914 mm) above the finish floor. The view panel shall be fixed glazing with polycarbonate or laminate on the inside of the glazing.
- Seclusion rooms shall not contain outside corners or edges.
- All items in the room (e.g., lighting fixtures, sprinkler heads, HVAC grilles, and surveillance cameras, etc.) shall be tamper resistant.
- Electrical switches and receptacles are prohibited in the seclusion room.