Anyone who installs a boiler must ensure that the boiler is inspected by the Department of Labor and Industry after installation is complete and before the boiler is placed in operation if the individual or combined Btu input exceeds:
- 100,000 Btu/hr for steam boilers;
- 500,000 Btu/hr for hot water supply boilers; or
- 750,000 Btu/hr for hot water heating boilers.
Exceptions: Boilers identified in Minnesota Statutes, section 326.B.988, including the following, are not subject to this section:
- Boilers in buildings occupied solely for residential purposes with accommodations for not more than five families.
- Boilers under the direct jurisdiction of the United States.
- Boilers located on farms used solely for agricultural or horticultural purposes; for the purposes of this subpart, boilers used for mint oil extraction are considered used for agricultural or horticultural purposes, provided that the owner or lessee complies with the inspection requirements contained in Minnesota Statutes, Section 326B.958.