// CODE SNIPPET
1230.1.13 Safety Room
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
A safety room shall:
- Contain a minimum of 63 square feet (5.9 m2) of floor area and a minimum clear ceiling height of 8 feet (2438 mm);
- Be limited to one minor;
- Be padded as specified in Section 1230.2.7;
- Provide one or more vertical view panels constructed of security glazing. These view panels shall be no more than 4 inches (102 mm) wide nor less than 24 inches (610 mm) long, which shall provide a view of the entire room;
- Provide an audio monitoring system as specified in Section 1230.1.22;
- Provide access to a toilet, wash basin and drinking fountain outside the room as specified in Section 1230.2; and
- Be equipped with a variable intensity, security-type lighting fixture with controls located outside the room.
- Any wall or ceiling-mounted devices must be designed to prohibit access to the minor occupant.