Ropes shall be replaced or removed if any of the following conditions exist, and as otherwise prescribed by rule of the department:
- Any physical damage that impairs the function and strength of the rope.
- Presence of kinks that might impair the tracking or wrapping of the rope around the drums or sheaves.
- Presence of abrasion, corrosion, scrubbing, flasttening or peening causing the loss of more than one-third of the original diameter of the outside wires.
- Heat damage caused by a torch or any damage caused by contact with electrical wires.
- Evidence that the secondary brake has been activated during an overspeed condition and has engaged the suspension rope.