// CODE SNIPPET
916.0 Room Heaters
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Unvented room heaters shall not be installed in bathrooms or bedrooms.
- Where approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, one listed wall-mounted unvented room heater equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff system shall be permitted to be installed in a bathroom, provided that the input rating does not exceed 6000 Btu/h (1.76 kW) and combustion and ventilation air is provided as specified in Section 902.2.
- Where approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, one listed wall-mounted unvented room heater equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff system shall be permitted to be installed in a bedroom, provided that the input rating does not exceed 10 000 Btu/h (3 kW) and combustion and ventilation air is provided as specified in Section 902.2. [NFPA 54:10.22.1]
- Portable oil fired unvented heating appliances used as supplemental heating in storage occupancies, utility occupancies, and in accordance with the fire code.
A room heater shall be placed so as not to cause a hazard to walls, floors, curtains, furniture, doors where open, and to the free movements of persons within the room. Heaters designed and marked, "For use in noncombustible fireplace only," shall not be installed elsewhere. Listed room heaters shall be installed in accordance with their listings and the manufacturer's installation instructions. In no case shall the clearances be such as to interfere with combustion air and accessibility. Unlisted room heaters shall be installed with clearances from combustible material not less than the following:
- Circulating type room heaters having an outer jacket surrounding the combustion chamber, arranged with openings at top and bottom so that air circulates between the inner and outer jacket, and without openings in the outer jacket to permit direct radiation, shall have clearance at sides and rear of not less than 12 inches (305 mm).
- Radiating type room heaters other than those of the circulating type described in Section 916.2.3(1) shall have clearance at sides and rear of not less than 18 inches (457 mm), except that heaters that make use of metal, asbestos, or ceramic material to direct radiation to the front of the heater shall have a clearance of 36 inches (914 mm) in front and, where constructed with a double back of metal or ceramic, shall be permitted to be installed with a clearance of 18 inches (457 mm) at sides and 12 inches (305 mm) at rear. Combustible floors under unlisted room heaters shall be protected in an approved manner.