// CODE SNIPPET
510.9.1 Rooftop Terminations
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Rooftop terminations shall be arranged with or provided with the following:
- Not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) of horizontal clearance from the outlet to adjacent buildings, property lines, and air intakes.
- Not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) of horizontal clearance from the outlet (fan housing) to a combustible structure.
- A vertical separation of 3 feet (914 mm) below an exhaust outlet for air intakes within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the exhaust outlet.
- The ability to drain grease out of traps or low points formed in the fan or duct near the termination of the system into a collection container that is noncombustible, closed, rainproof, and structurally sound for the service to which it is applied, and that will not sustain combustion.
- A grease collection device that is applied to exhaust systems that does not inhibit the performance of a fan.
- A listed grease collection system that is in accordance with Section 510.9.1(4) and Section 510.9.1(5).
- A listed grease duct in accordance with Section 507.4.7 or ductwork in accordance with Section 507.4.8.
- A hinged upblast fan supplied with flexible weatherproof electrical cable and service hold-open retainer to permit inspection and cleaning that is listed for commercial cooking equipment with the following conditions:
- Other approved fan, provided it is in accordance with the following criteria:
- The fan is in accordance with the requirements of Section 510.9.1(3) and Section 511.1.3.
- Its discharge or its extended duct discharge is in accordance with the requirements of Section 510.9.1(2). (See Section 511.1.3)
- Exhaust fan discharge is directed up and away from the roof surface. [NFPA 96:18.104.22.168]
Listed flexible connectors shall be permitted to be used on exterior roof locations where required for proper equipment vibration isolation.
Fans shall be provided with safe access and a work surface for inspection and cleaning. [NFPA 96:22.214.171.124]