// CODE SNIPPET
504.4.1 Rooftop Access
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Access to building rooftops shall be provided for fire operations by providing unobstructed access to the rooftop, including unobstructed passage across the building parapet, perimeter fence or other obstructions, and a safe landing. Such rooftop access shall be provided in compliance with the following required clearances:
- For each 12 linear feet (3658 mm) of building perimeter accessible from the frontage space of the building and from any other exposure accessible to fire apparatus, a minimum clearance of 6 feet (1829 mm) in width and 6 feet (1829 mm) in depth from any obstruction shall be provided at the parapet wall or other perimeter of the rooftop.
- Where such building perimeter is 24 linear feet (7315 mm) or greater, but less than 36 linear feet (10 973 mm), the required clearance openings shall be separated by a distance of not less than 12 linear feet (3658 mm).
- Where such building perimeter is 36 linear feet (10 973 mm) or greater, the required clearance openings may be contiguous, provided, however, that such contiguous openings shall not exceed 12 linear feet (3658 mm) and shall be separated from other required clearance openings by a distance of not less than 12 linear feet (3658 mm).
- Each exposure accessible by fire apparatus may be treated separately for purposes of locating clearance openings and otherwise complying with the requirements of this provision.
- Awnings, sun control devices, solar panels or other structures affixed to an exterior building wall below the roof line shall not obstruct fire apparatus aerial ladder access to the rooftop perimeter access locations.
- Scaffolding obstructing rooftop access locations shall be designed to provide secure landings at such locations in an approved manner.