[NY] 1206.16.5 Rooftop
Energy storage systems and associated equipment that are located on rooftops and not enclosed by building construction shall comply with the following:
- Stairway access to the roof for emergency response and fire department personnel shall be provided either through a bulkhead from the interior of the building or a stairway on the exterior of the building.
- Service walkways at least 5 feet (1524 mm) in width shall be provided for service and emergency personnel from the point of access to the roof to the system.
- Energy storage systems and associated equipment shall be located from the edge of the roof a distance equal to at least the height of the system, equipment, or component but not less than 5 feet (1.5 m).
- The roofing materials under and within 5 feet (1524 mm) horizontally from an energy storage system or associated equipment shall be noncombustible or shall have a Class A rating when tested in accordance with ASTM E108 or UL 790.
- A Class I standpipe outlet shall be installed at an approved location on the roof level of the building or in the stairway bulkhead at the top level.
- The energy storage system shall be the minimum of 10 feet from the fire service access point on the roof top.
- Energy storage systems shall not be located within 50 feet (15,240 mm) of air inlets for building HVAC systems.
Exception: This distance shall be permitted to be reduced to 25 feet (7620 mm) if the automatic fire alarm system monitoring the radiant-energy sensing detectors deenergizes the ventilation system connected to the air intakes upon detection of fire.