The roof deck shall be designed to withstand the wind pressures determined in accordance with ASCE 7.
Exception: Rigid tile roof coverings that are air permeable and installed over a roof deck complying with Section 1609.5.1 are permitted to be designed in accordance with Section 1609.5.3.
|Ma = qhCLbLLa[1.0 - GCp]||(Equation 16-34)|
|b||=||Exposed width, feet (mm) of the roof tile.|
|CL||=||Lift coefficient. The lift coefficient for concrete and clay tile shall be 0.2 or shall be determined by test in accordance with Section 1711.2.|
|GCp||=||Roof pressure coefficient for each applicable roof zone determined from Chapter 30 of ASCE 7. Roof coefficients shall not be adjusted for internal pressure.|
|L||=||Length, feet (mm) of the roof tile.|
|La||=||Moment arm, feet (mm) from the axis of rotation to the point of uplift on the roof tile. The point of uplift shall be taken at 0.76L from the head of the tile and the middle of the exposed width. For roof tiles with nails or screws (with or without a tail clip), the axis of rotation shall be taken as the head of the tile for direct deck application or as the top edge of the batten for battened applications. For roof tiles fastened only by a nail or screw along the side of the tile, the axis of rotation shall be determined by testing. For roof tiles installed with battens and fastened only by a clip near the tail of the tile, the moment arm shall be determined about the top edge of the batten with consideration given for the point of rotation of the tiles based on straight bond or broken bond and the tile profile.|
|Ma||=||Aerodynamic uplift moment, feet-pounds (N-mm) acting to raise the tail of the tile.|
|qh||=||Wind velocity pressure, psf (kN/m2) determined from Section 27.3.2 of ASCE 7.|
Concrete and clay roof tiles complying with the following limitations shall be designed to withstand the aerodynamic uplift moment as determined by this section.
- The roof tiles shall be either loose laid on battens, mechanically fastened, mortar set or adhesive set.
- The roof tiles shall be installed on solid sheathing which has been designed as components and cladding.
- An underlayment shall be installed in accordance with Chapter 15.
- The tile shall be single lapped interlocking with a minimum head lap of not less than 2 inches (51 mm).
- The length of the tile shall be between 1.0 and 1.75 feet (305 mm and 533 mm).
- The exposed width of the tile shall be between 0.67 and 1.25 feet (204 mm and 381 mm).
- The maximum thickness of the tail of the tile shall not exceed 1.3 inches (33 mm).
- Roof tiles using mortar set or adhesive set systems shall have at least two-thirds of the tile's area free of mortar or adhesive contact.