// CODE SNIPPET
408.3 Roof Surfaces
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Not less than 75 percent of the roof surfaces of buildings and covered parking located in climate zones 1 through 3, as established in the International Energy Conservation Code, shall be a roof complying with Section 408.3.1; shall be covered with a vegetative roof complying with Section 408.3.2; or a combination of these requirements. The provisions of this section shall apply to roofs of structures providing shade to parking in accordance with Section 408.2.2 where located in climate zones 1 through 6.
Exception: Portions of roof surfaces occupied by the following shall be permitted to be deducted from the roof surface area required to comply with this section:
Where roof coverings are used for compliance with Section 408.3, roof coverings shall comply with Section 408.3.1.1 or 408.3.1.2. The values for solar reflectance and thermal emittance shall be determined by an independent laboratory accredited by a nationally recognized accreditation program. Roof products shall be listed and labeled and certified by the manufacturer demonstrating compliance.
REFLECTANCE AND EMITTANCE
|ROOF SLOPE||MINIMUM AGED |
|MINIMUM AGED |
|2:12 or less||0.55||0.75||60|
|Greater than 2:12||0.30||0.75||25|
Roof products shall be permitted to use a solar reflectance index (SRI) where the calculated value is in compliance with Table 408.3.1 values for minimum aged SRI. The SRI value shall be determined using ASTM E 1980 with a convection coefficient of 2.1 Btu/h-ft2 (12 W/m2 × k) based on three-year aged roof samples tested in accordance with the test methods in Section 408.3.1.1.
Vegetative roofs, where provided in accordance with Section 408.3, shall comply with the following:
- All plantings shall be selected based on their hardiness zone classifications in accordance with USDA MP1475 and shall be capable of withstanding the climate conditions of the jurisdiction and the micro climate conditions of the building site including, but not limited to, wind, precipitation and temperature. Planting density shall provide foliage coverage, in the warm months, of not less than 80 percent within two years of the date of installation unless a different time period is established in the approved design. Plants shall be distributed to meet the coverage requirements. Invasive plant species shall not be planted.
- The engineered soil medium shall be designed for the physical conditions and local climate to support the plants and shall consist of nonsynthetic materials. The planting design shall include measures to protect the engineered soil medium until the plants are established. Protection measures include, but are not limited to, installation of pregrown vegetated mats or modules, tackifying agents, fiber blankets and reinforcing mesh. The maximum wet weight and water holding capacity of an engineered soil medium shall be determined in accordance with ASTM E 2399.
- Where access to the building facades is provided from locations on the perimeter of the roof, nonvegetated buffers adequate to support associated equipment and to protect the roof shall be provided.
- Nonvegetated clearances as required for fire classification of vegetative roof systems shall be provided in accordance with the International Fire Code.
- Plantings shall be capable of being managed to maintain the function of the vegetative roof as provided in the documents required by Section 904.3.