// CODE SNIPPET
1511.3.1 Roof Recover
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Where the new roof covering is installed in accordance with the roof covering manufacturer's approved instructions.
- Complete and separate roofing systems, such as standing-seam metal roof panel systems, that are designed to transmit the roof loads directly to the building's structural system and that do not rely on existing roofs and roof coverings for support, shall not require the removal of existing roof coverings.
- Metal panel, metal shingle and concrete and clay tile roof coverings shall be permitted to be installed over existing wood shake roofs when applied in accordance with Section 1511.4.
- The application of a new protective roof coating over an existing protective roof coating, metal roof panel, built-up roof, spray polyurethane foam roofing system, metal roof shingles, mineral-surfaced roll roofing, modified bitumen roofing or thermoset and thermoplastic single-ply roofing shall be permitted without tear off of existing roof coverings.
A roof recover shall not be permitted where any of the following conditions occur:
- Where the existing roof or roof covering is water soaked or has deteriorated to the point that the existing roof or roof covering is not adequate as a base for additional roofing.
- Where the existing roof covering is slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile.
- Where the existing roof has two or more applications of any type of roof covering.
Related Code Sections
1511.3.1 Roof Assemblies and Rooftop Structures, Roof Recover
A roof recover shall not be permitted where any of the following conditions occur: Where the existing roof or roof covering is water soaked ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 15 Roof Assemblies and Rooftop Structures > 1511 Reroofing > 1511.3 Roof Replacement > 1511.3.1 Roof Recover
705.3.1 Alterations—Level 1, Roof Recover
A roof recover shall not be permitted where any of the following conditions occur: Where the existing roof or roof covering is water ...
Existing Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 7 Alterations—Level 1 > 705 Reroofing > 705.3 Roof Replacement > 705.3.1 Roof Recover
705.1 Alterations—Level 1, General
Materials and methods of application used for recovering or replacing an existing roof covering shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 15 ...
C503.1 [CE] Existing Buildings, General
with insulation. Construction where the existing roof, wall or floor cavity is not exposed. Roof recover . Roof Membrane Peel and Replacement ...
2018 Illinois Energy Conservation Code Standards for Privately Funded Commercial Facilities and Standards for Residential Buildings > 5 [CE] Existing Buildings > C503 Alterations > C503.1 General