// CODE SNIPPET
R804.3.2.2 Roof Rafter Support Brace
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where used to reduce roof rafter spans in determining roof rafter sizes, a roof rafter support brace shall meet all of the following conditions:
- Minimum 350S162-33 C-shaped brace member with maximum length of 8 feet (2438 mm).
- Minimum brace member slope of 45 degrees (0.785 rad) to the horizontal.
- Minimum connection of brace to a roof rafter and ceiling joist with four No.10 screws at each end.
- Maximum 6 inches (152 mm) between brace/ceiling joist connection and load-bearing wall below.
- Each roof rafter support brace greater than 4 feet (1219 mm) in length, shall be braced with a supplemental brace having a minimum size of 350S162-33 or 350T162-33 such that the maximum unsupported length of the roof rafter support brace is 4 feet (1219 mm). The supplemental brace shall be continuous and shall be connected to each roof rafter support brace using two No. 8 screws.