This section has been amended at the state or city level.
Openings in horizontal diaphragms shall conform to LAMC Paragraph 91.5.503.2.4.
When used to reduce roof rafter spans in determining roof rafter sizes, a roof rafter support brace shall meet all of the following conditions:
- Minimum 350S162-33 C-shaped brace member with maximum length of 8 feet (2438 mm).
- Minimum brace member slope of 45 degrees (0.785 rad) to the horizontal.
- Minimum connection of brace to a roof rafter and ceiling joist with four No.10 screws at each end.
- Maximum 6 inches (152 mm) between brace/ceiling joist connection and load-bearing wall below.
- Each roof rafter support brace greater than 4 feet (1219 mm) in length, shall be braced with a supplemental brace having a minimum size of 350S162-33 or 350T162-33 such that the maximum unsupported length of the roof rafter support brace is 4 feet (1219 mm). The supplemental brace shall be continuous and shall be connected to each roof rafter support brace using two No. 8 screws.