// CODE SNIPPET
1704.1.2 Responsibilities of the Special Inspection Agency
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The special inspection agency shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Independence. The special inspection agency shall be independent of the contractors responsible for the work being inspected. The registered design professional of record is permitted to act as the approved special inspection agency and such agency's personnel are permitted to act as special inspectors for the work designed by the registered design professional of record, provided those personnel meet the qualification requirements of this section to the satisfaction of the department.
- Construction documents. The special inspection agency shall examine all approved construction documents that relate to the work that is the subject of the special inspections to confirm that the documents are sufficient to enable the proper performance of the special inspection. The special inspection agency shall confirm that any shop drawings or sketches have been accepted by the registered design professional of record. Acceptance shall be demonstrated in writing by the registered design professional of record on the documents.
- Inspection. The special inspection agency shall observe work subject to special inspection to confirm that the work that is the subject of the special inspection is in compliance with the approved construction documents; with the approved shop drawings, where provided; and with the special inspection requirements of this code and department rules and regulations.
- Reports. The special inspection agency shall prepare reports of its inspections and tests, and such reports shall indicate that work inspected was or was not performed in conformance with approved construction documents.
- Format. Special inspection reports and records of special inspections shall be in the form and format supplied by the commissioner.
- Discrepancies. Discrepancies shall be brought to the immediate attention of the contractor and, when applicable, to the superintendent of construction, for correction. If the discrepancies are not corrected, the discrepancies shall be brought to the attention of the owner, and the registered design professional of record prior to the completion of that phase of the work.
- Hazardous conditions. The special inspector shall report conditions noted as hazardous to life, safety or health that are not immediately corrected to the immediate attention of the commissioner.
- Final report. Prior to issuance of a certificate of occupancy or letter of completion, a final report documenting the required special inspections and correction of all discrepancies noted in the inspections shall be submitted to the department, certifying compliance with approved construction documents and the administrative and procedural requirements of this code.
- Approval of partially completed work. Reports of partially completed work shall be accepted when such reports indicate that the inspected work has been completed in accordance with the construction documents and the condition of the remaining work.
- Maintain records. The special inspection agency shall keep records of inspections for a period of 6 years from the date of project sign-off. Such records shall be supplied to the commissioner upon request. The commissioner may require that special inspection reports be filed with the department and/or that such reports be otherwise made accessible for review.
Related Code Sections
1704.1.2 Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Responsibilities of the Special Inspection Agency
The special inspection agency shall have the following duties and responsibilities: Independence. The special inspection agency shall ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 17 Structural Tests and Special Inspections > 1704 Special Inspections > 1704.1 General > 1704.1.2 Responsibilities of the Special Inspection Agency
*3301.13.9 Safeguards During Construction or Demolition, Correcting Unsafe Conditions
condition relates to an item which a registered design professional or special inspection agency is responsible for implementing or verifying ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 33 Safeguards During Construction or Demolition > 3301 General > *3301.13 Scope > *3301.13.9 Correcting Unsafe Conditions
G105.4 Flood-Resistant Construction, Flood Shield Inspection
that are nonresidential (for flood zone purposes), the special inspector or special inspection agency responsible for the flood zone compliance special inspection shall ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > G Flood-Resistant Construction > G105 Progress and Special Inspection Requirements > G105.4 Flood Shield Inspection
Appendix A Selected Rules of the Department of Buildings [PDF] (page 139)
) Availability and Compliance. A special inspector and/or special inspection agency shall have responsibilities as set forth in chapter 17 of the New ...
1704.1.1 Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Building Permit Requirement
of the individuals or approved agencies to be retained for conducting the special inspections listed on the approved plans. Within each category ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 17 Structural Tests and Special Inspections > 1704 Special Inspections > 1704.1 General > 1704.1.1 Building Permit Requirement