This section applies to all internally illuminated and externally illuminated signs, unfiltered light emitting diodes (LEDs) and unfiltered neon, both indoor and outdoor. Each sign shall comply with either subsection (a) or (b), as applicable.
(a) Maximum allowed lighting power.
- For internally illuminated signs, the maximum allowed lighting power shall not exceed the product of the illuminated sign area and 12 watts per square foot. For double-faced signs, only the area of a single face shall be used to determine the allowed lighting power.
- For externally illuminated signs, the maximum allowed lighting power shall not exceed the product of the illuminated sign area and 2.3 watts per square foot. Only areas of an externally lighted sign that are illuminated without obstruction or interference, by one or more luminaires, shall be used.
- Lighting for unfiltered light emitting diodes (LEDs) and unfiltered neon shall comply with Section 140.8(b).
(b) Alternate lighting sources. The sign shall comply if it is equipped only with one or more of the following light sources:
- High pressure sodium lamps; or
- Pulse start or ceramic served by a ballast that has a minimum efficiency of 88 percent or greater, or
- A minimum efficiency of 75 percent when the transformer or power supply rated output current is less than 50 mA; or
- Use only lamps with a minimum color rendering index (CRI) of 80; or
- Use only electronic ballasts with a fundamental output frequency not less than 20 kHz.
- Compact fluorescent lamps that do not contain a medium screw base socket (E24/E26).
Exception 1 to Section 140.8: Unfiltered incandescent lamps that are not part of an electronic message center (EMC), an internally illuminated sign or an externally illuminated sign.
Exception 2 to Section 140.8: Exit signs. Exit signs shall meet the requirements of the appliance efficiency regulations.
Exception 3 to Section 140.8: Traffic Signs. Traffic signs shall meet the requirements of the appliance efficiency regulations.