1104.0 Requirements for Refrigerant and Refrigeration System Use
TABLE 1104.1 PERMISSIBLE REFRIGERATION SYSTEMS1
|OCCUPANCY GROUP3||HIGH-PROBABILITY SYSTEM||LOW PROBABILITY SYSTEM||MACHINERY ROOM|
|A-1||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|A-2||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|A-3||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|A-4||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|B||Group A12 only||Any||Any|
|E||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|F-1||Group A12 only||Any||Any|
|H-4||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|H-5||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|I-2||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|I-4||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|M||Group A12 only||Any||Any|
|R-1||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|R-2||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|R-3||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|R-4||Group A1 only||Any||Any|
|S-1||Group A12 only||Any||Any|
1 See Section 1104.0.
2 A refrigerant shall be permitted to be used within a high-probability system where the room or space is in accordance with Section 1104.4.
- Listed equipment containing not more than 6.6 pounds (2.99 kg) of refrigerant, regardless of the refrigerant safety classification, provided the equipment is installed in accordance with the listing and with the manufacturer's installation instructions.
- Listed equipment for use in laboratories with more than 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of space per person, regardless of the refrigerant safety classification, provided that the equipment is installed in accordance with the listing and the manufacturer's installation instructions. [ASHRAE 15:7.2]
Exceptions: The following closure devices shall not be considered:
- Smoke dampers, fire dampers, and combination smoke and fire dampers that close only in an emergency not associated with a refrigerant leak.
- Dampers, such as variable-air-volume (VAV) boxes, that provide limited closure where airflow is not reduced below 10 percent of its maximum with the fan running. [ASHRAE 15:22.214.171.124]
- The space(s) containing the machinery is (are) separated from other occupancies by tight construction with tight-fitting doors.
- Access is restricted to authorized personnel.
- The floor area per occupant is not less than 100 square feet (9.29 m2).
Exception: The minimum floor area shall not apply where the space is provided with egress directly to the outdoors or into approved building exits.
- Refrigerant detectors are installed with the sensing location and alarm level as required in refrigeration machinery rooms in accordance with Section 1126.96.36.199.
- Open flames and surfaces exceeding 800°F (427°C) shall not be permitted where a Group A2, B2, A3, or B3 refrigerant, is used.
- Electrical equipment that is in accordance with Class 1, Division 2, of NFPA 70 where the quantity of a Group A2, B2, A3, or B3 refrigerant in an independent circuit is capable of exceeding 25 percent of the lower flammability limit (LFL) upon release to the space based on the volume determined in accordance with Section 1104.2.1 through Section 1104.2.3.
- Refrigerant containing parts in systems exceeding 100 horsepower (74.6 kW) compressor drive power, except evaporators used for refrigeration or dehumidification, condensers used for heating, control and pressure-relief valves for either, and connecting piping, are located in a machinery room or outdoors. [ASHRAE 15:7.2.2]
Exception: Drying shall not be required in order to use recycled refrigerants where water is the refrigerant, is used as an absorbent or is a deliberate additive. [ASHRAE 15:188.8.131.52]
Exception: Addition of a second refrigerant shall be permitted where specified by the equipment manufacturer to improve oil return at low temperatures. The refrigerant and amount added shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. [ASHRAE 15:184.108.40.206]