- The total cost of improvements required by Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 shall not be required to exceed 10 percent of the costs of the alterations exclusive of land and building site improvements.
- This section shall not require compliance that exceeds that required for systems regulated by Chapters 6 through 8 of this code.
- Materials, assemblies and components regulated by Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 that are dependent upon properties of other concealed materials, assemblies or system components to function properly and where the properties of the concealed materials, assemblies or components are unknown or insufficient and will not be revealed during construction.
- Alterations are not required to comply with the requirements of Sections 1003.2.1 through 1003.2.7 where the code official determines the alterations to be infeasible based upon the existing configuration of spaces, unless those spaces or portions thereof will be reconfigured as part of the alteration project.
- Where a tenant in a multi-tenant building does not have control within that tenant space of a complete system or item, compliance for that complete system or item shall not be required.
- Where the total cost of the alteration to the existing building is less than the percent of the value of the building as indicated in Table 1003.2, compliance with Section 1003.2 shall not be required. The percent value of the building shall be determined by the original construction cost plus completed improvement costs of the building.
|BUILDING SIZE (square feet)||PERCENT OF BUILDING VALUE|
|Less than 5,000||20|
|5,000 — 50,000||10|
|50,001 — 500,000||1|
- Electrical energy consumption for individual tenant spaces.
- Water consumption for individual tenant spaces.
- Natural gas or fuel oil consumption for individual tenant spaces.
- Lighting loads.
- Motor and drive loads.
- Chiller part-load efficiency.
- Cooling loads.
- Economizer and heat recovery loads.
- Boiler efficiencies.
- Building process systems and equipment loads.
- Water consumption for landscape irrigation.
Exception: A time clock or automatic time switch controls shall not be required for spaces where any of the following conditions exist:
Exception: An outside air economizer shall not be required for buildings or special uses where 100 percent outside air for ventilation is required or where any of the following conditions exist:
Exception: Additional insulation shall not be required for piping where any of the following conditions exist:
- Water heater and hot water storage tanks shall have a combined minimum total of external and internal insulation value of R-16.
- Accessible hot and cold water supply and distribution pipes shall comply with Section 607.6. The insulation shall not be required to extend beyond the building thermal envelope.
- Circulating pump systems for hot water supply purposes other than comfort heating shall be controlled as specified in Section 607.7.
- Showerhead, toilet, urinal and faucet flow rates shall be in accordance with this code.
Exception: A cover shall not be required for indoor pools or spas in which water temperature is less than 80°F (26.7°C) during time of nonuse.
Exception: Filtration pumps where the public health standard requires 24-hour pump operation.
Exception: Where the required R-value cannot be provided due to thickness limitations presented by existing rooftop conditions, including heating, ventilating and air-conditioning equipment, low door or glazing heights, parapet heights, proper roof flashing heights, the maximum thickness of insulation compatible with the available space and existing uses shall be installed.