// CODE SNIPPET
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Transparent doors and fixed adjacent sidelights shall be marked in accordance with Sections BC 2410.3 through 2410.5.
- One- and two-family dwellings.
- Fixed adjacent transparent sidelights 20 inches (508 mm) or less in width with opaque stiles at least 13/4 inches (44 mm) in width.
- Where the ground, floor or equivalent surface area in the path of approach to a fixed adjacent transparent sidelight from either side for a minimum distance of 3 feet (914 mm) from such sidelight is so arranged, constructed or designed as to deter persons from approaching such sidelight or a permanent barrier is installed in the path of approach, provided that:
- Decorative pools, horticultural planting or similar installations shall be considered as indicating that the ground, floor or equivalent surface area is not a path of approach.
- Planters, benches and similar barriers which are securely fastened to the floor or wall to prevent their removal shall be considered as blocking the path of approach provided they shall be not less than 18 inches (457 mm) in height from the ground, floor or equivalent surface and extend across at least 2/3 of the total width of the glazed area of the sidelight.
- Fixed adjacent transparent sidelights which are supported by opaque sill and wall construction of at least 18 inches (457 mm) above the ground, floor or equivalent surface immediately adjacent.
- Display windows in any establishment, building or structure which fall within the definition of a sidelight if the top of the supporting sill and wall construction is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the ground, floor or equivalent surface immediately adjacent and the interior area is occupied with merchandise or similar displays to clearly indicate to the public that it is not a means of ingress or egress.
- Opaque door pulls or push bars extending across at least two-thirds of the total width of the glazed area.