Requests for a variance from the sprinkler requirements of this section shall be limited to requests to remove a damaged or inoperable sprinkler system or a portion of such system in connection with demolitions or gut rehabilitations. Applications for construction document approvals for such requests shall be filed with the department by a registered design professional in accordance with the following procedure:
- The filed application shall include a complete report prepared by the professional describing the extent of the damage and attesting as to why the system cannot be restored; and
- The variance shall not be approved by the department without the concurrence of the Fire Department as follows:
- The applicant shall file the request for variance with the Fire Department;
- The Fire Department shall review and recommend any necessary safety measures required as a condition of granting the variance; and
- The applicant shall submit the Fire Department's recommendation to the department along with proof of satisfactory implementation of such safety measures.