- Patient bedrooms shall contain a minimum of 110 square feet (10.22 m2) of clear floor area per bed, exclusive of toilet room(s), closets, lockers, wardrobes, alcoves or vestibules, with greater space provided for special needs such as circ-o-electric beds.
- Space for group dining shall be provided at the minimum rate of 20 square feet (1.86 m2) per bed.
- Space for group recreation or patient’s lounge shall be provided at the minimum rate of 20 square feet (1.86 m2) per bed.
- Space for staff conferences, patient evaluation, and progress reports.
- A classroom space.
- An examination and treatment room, adjacent or directly accessible to an office for the physician in charge of the outpatient service.
- A patient waiting area with access to telephone, drinking fountain, and men’s and women’s toilet room facilities in or adjacent to the rehabilitation outpatient service area.
- Access to an outside area to be used for therapeutic procedures for patients.
- At least one training toilet room in each patient unit with minimum dimensions of 5 feet by 6 feet (1524 mm by 1829 mm).
- Patient bathtubs, where provided, of standard height and located to provide access to both sides and one end of the tub.
- Patient showers, where provided in centralized bathing facilities, shall comply with Section 11B-608.2.2, no dimension of which shall be less than 4 feet (1219 mm), be equipped with handrails, privacy curtains, and designed for ease of accessibility. The floor shall be sloped to provide drainage.
If physical therapy is part of the service, the following shall be included:
- The minimum floor area for a physical therapy space shall be 300 square feet (27.87 m2) with no dimensions less than 12 feet (3658 mm). Each individual patient care station shall have a minimum clear floor area of 60 square feet (5.57 m2), except individual patient care stations formed with permanent partitions shall have a minimum clear floor area of 80 square feet (7.43 m2). Each individual patient care station shall have privacy screens or curtains.
- Handwashing fixtures for staff either within or at each treatment space. (One handwashing fixture may serve several treatment stations.)
- Exercise area and facilities.
- Clean linen and towel storage.
- Storage for equipment and supplies.
- Separate storage for soiled linen, towels, and supplies.
Exception: When approved by the licensing agency small or rural hospitals are exempt from Sections 118.104.22.168 through 122.214.171.124.
If this service is provided, the following shall be included:
If a speech pathology service is provided, space shall be provided for:
- Tables and chairs to conduct interviews, consultations and treatment, and to accommodate patients in wheelchairs and stretchers.
- A waiting area with access to public toilet room(s) if outpatients are being served.
- Handwashing fixture.
- Testing unit. If an audiology service is provided, there shall be, in addition to Items 1, 2 and 3 above, a minimum of one two-room testing unit that meets the American National Standards Institute, ANSI/ASA S-3.1, 1999, (2008) Maximum Permissible Ambient Noise Levels for Audiometric Test Rooms.