Section 1107 Refrigerant Piping
Refrigerant piping that crosses an open space that affords passageway in any building shall be not less than 7 feet 3 inches (2210 mm) above the floor unless the piping is located against the ceiling of such space. Refrigerant piping shall not be placed in any of the following:
- A fire-resistance-rated exit access corridor.
- An interior exit stairway.
- An interior exit ramp.
- An exit passageway.
- An elevator, dumbwaiter or other shaft containing a moving object.
- A shaft that has one or more openings into a fire-resistance-rated exit access corridor, interior exit stairway or ramp or exit passageway.
- Penetrations connecting the basement and the first floor.
- Penetrations connecting the top floor and a machinery penthouse or roof installation.
- Penetrations connecting adjacent floors served by the refrigeration system.
- Penetrations by piping in a direct system where the refrigerant quantity does not exceed Table 1103.1 for the smallest occupied space through which the piping passes.
- 5.1. Enclosed by an approved gas-tight, fire-resistive duct or shaft with openings to those floors served by the refrigeration system.
- 5.2. Located on the exterior of the building where vented to the outdoors or to the space served by the system and not used as an air shaft, closed court or similar space.