A4.405.3 Recycled Content
Tier 1. The RCV shall not be less than 10 percent of the total material cost of the project.
Tier 2. The RCV shall not be less than 15 percent of the total material cost of the project.
For the purposes of this section, materials used as components of the structural frame shall not be used to calculate recycled content. The structural frame includes the load bearing structural elements, such as wall studs, plates, sills, columns, beams, girders, joists, rafters and trusses.
- Sample forms which allow user input and automatic calculation are located at http://www.hcd.ca.gov/building-standards/calgreen/cal- green-form.shtml and may be used to simplify documenting compliance with this section and for calculating recycled content value of materials or assembly products.
- Sources and recycled content of some recycled materials can be obtained from CalRecycle if not provided by the manufacturer.
Total material cost is the total estimated or actual cost of materials and assembly products used in the project. The required total recycled content value for the project (in dollars) shall be determined by Equation A4.4-1 or Equation A4.4-2.
Total material cost shall be calculated by using one of the methods specified below:
- Detailed method. To obtain the total cost of the project, add the estimated and/or actual costs of materials used for the project, including the structure (steel, concrete, wood or masonry); the enclosure (roof, windows, doors and exterior walls); the interior walls, ceilings and finishes (gypsum board, ceiling tiles, etc.). The total estimated and/or actual costs shall not include fees, labor and installation costs, overhead, appliances, equipment, furniture or furnishings.
Total RCV may be determined either by dollars or percentage as noted below.
- If the postconsumer and preconsumer recycled content is provided in pounds, Equation A4.4-7 may be used, but the final result (in pounds) must be multiplied by 100 to show RCM as a percentage.
- If the manufacturer reports total recycled content of a material as one percentage in lieu of separately reporting preconsumer and post-consumer values, the total shall be considered preconsumer recycled material.
PRCM of each material may be calculated by one of two methods using the following formulas:
Method 1: Recycled content (postconsumer and preconsumer) of each material provided in percentages
Method 2: Recycled content (postconsumer and preconsumer) provided in pounds
Note: If the manufacturer reports total recycled content of a material as one percentage in lieu of separately reporting preconsumer and postconsumer values, the total shall be considered preconsumer recycled material.