103.5 Reconstruction, Alteration or Repair in Group R-5 Occupancies
- Any reconstruction, alteration or repair shall not adversely affect the performance of the building or structure, or cause the building or structure to become unsafe or lower existing levels of health and safety.
- Parts of the building or structure not being reconstructed, altered or repaired shall not be required to comply with the requirements of this code applicable to newly constructed buildings or structures.
- The installation of material or equipment, or both, that is neither required nor prohibited shall only be required to comply with the provisions of this code relating to the safe installation of such material or equipment.
- Material or equipment, or both, may be replaced in the same location with material or equipment of a similar kind or capacity.
- This section shall not be construed to permit noncompliance with any applicable flood load or flood-resistant construction requirements of this code.
- Reconstructed decks, balconies, porches and similar structures located 30 inches (762 mm) or more above grade shall meet the current code provisions for structural loading capacity, connections and structural attachment. This requirement excludes the configuration and height of handrails and guardrails.
- Compliance with the VRC shall be an acceptable alternative to compliance with this section at the discretion of the owner or owner's agent.
Upon the replacement or new installation of any fuel-burning appliances or equipment in existing Group R-5 occupancies, an inspection or inspections shall be conducted to ensure that the connected vent or chimney systems comply with the following:
- Vent or chimney systems are sized in accordance with the International Residential Code.
- Vent or chimney systems are clean, free of any obstruction or blockages, defects, or deterioration, and are in operable condition. Where not inspected by the local building department, persons performing such changes or installations shall certify to the building official that the requirements of Items 1 and 2 of this section are met.