10-113 Rating and Labeling of Roofing Product Reflectance and Emittance
This section establishes rules for implementing labeling and rating requirements relating to reflectance and emittance for roofing products for showing compliance with Sections 140.1, 140.2, 140.3(a)1, 141.0(b)2B, 150.1(c)11, 150.2(b)1H, and 150.2(b)2 of Title 24, California Code of Regulations, Part 6. This section also provides for designation of the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC) as the supervisory entity responsible for administering the state's rating program for roofing products, provided CRRC meets specified criteria.
- Certification requirements. Every roofing product installed in construction to take compliance credit or meet the Prescriptive requirements for reflectance and emittance under Sections 140.1, 140.2, 140.3(a)1, 141.0(b)2B, 150.1(c)11, 150.2(b)1H or 150.2(b)2 shall be rated by CRRC or another supervisory entity approved by the Commission pursuant to Section 10-113(c).
- The Commission may consider designating a supervisory entity other than CRRC if the Commission determines that the CRRC is not meeting the criteria in Section 10-113(d). Such other supervisory entity shall meet the criteria in Section 10-113(d) prior to being designated.
- The Commission shall periodically review, at least annually, the structure and operations of the supervisory entity to ensure continuing compliance with the criteria in Section 10-113(d). The supervisory entity shall provide an annual report to the Commission explaining all of the measures it has taken to comply with the criteria in Section 10-113(d).
- Membership in the entity shall be open on a nondiscriminatory basis to any person or organization that has an interest in uniform performance ratings for roofing products, including, but not limited to, members of the roofing industry, building industry, design professionals, specifiers, utilities, government agencies and public interest organizations. The membership shall be composed of a broad cross section of those interested in uniform thermal performance ratings for roofing products.
- The governing body of the entity shall reflect a reasonable cross section of the interests represented by the membership.
- The entity shall maintain a program of oversight of product manufacturers, laboratories and independent certifying organizations that ensures uniform application of the CRRC testing and rating procedures, labeling and rating, and such other rating procedures for other factors that improves the accuracy of properties of roofing products affecting energy performance as the CRRC and the Commission may adopt.
- The entity shall require manufacturers and independent certifying organizations within its program to use only laboratories accredited by the supervisory entity to perform tests in accordance with CRRC-1.
- Possession and calibration of equipment;
- Education, competence, and training of personnel;
- Quality control;
- Record keeping and reporting;
- Periodic review including, but not limited to, blind testing by laboratories; inspections of products; and inspections of laboratories, and manufacturing facilities;
- Challenges to ratings; and
- Guidelines to maintain the integrity of the program, including, but not limited to, provisions to avoid conflicts of interest within the rating process.
- The entity shall be a nonprofit organization and shall maintain reasonable, nondiscriminatory fee schedules for the services it provides, and shall make its fee schedules, the financial information on which fees are based, and financial statements available to its members for inspection.
- The entity shall provide hearing processes that give laboratories, manufacturers and certifying agencies a fair review of decisions that adversely affect them.
- The entity shall maintain a policy committee or similar body whose procedures are designed to avoid conflicts of interest in deciding appeals, resolving disputes and setting policy for the certifying organizations in its program.
- The entity shall publish at least annually a directory of rated products and products that are no longer rated by the CRRC.
- The entity itself shall be free from conflict-of-interest ties or to undue influence from any particular roofing product manufacturing interest(s), testing or independent certifying organization(s).
- The entity shall provide or authorize the use of labels that can be used to meet the requirements for showing compliance with the requirements of Sections 140.1, 140.2, 140.3(a)1, 141.0(b)2B, 150.1(c)11, 150.2(b)1H and 150.2(b)2, and this section.
- The entity's rating program shall allow for multiple participants in each aspect of the program to provide for competition between manufacturers and between testing labs.
Authority: Sections 25402 and 25402.1, Public Resources Code.
Reference: Sections 25007, 25008, 25218.5, 25310, 25402, 25402.1, 25402.4, 25402.5, 25402.8 and 25943, Public Resources Code.