For a zoning lot that contains or is adjacent to an entrance or entrances to a rail mass transit facility or subway station, no permit shall be issued for any signs that extend or are located above a height of 40 feet, unless the City Planning Commission certifies that each such entrance is clearly identified with rail mass transit or subway entrance informational signs and marquees in accordance with paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section. Such rail mass transit or subway entrance informational sign or marquee shall remain, or be upgraded or replaced by a similar sign or marquee, for the life of the related development.
(a) Rail mass transit or subway entrance informational signs shall prominently identify the entrance on both streets of a corner lot. Where rail mass transit or subway entrance informational signs are provided at the western block front of Seventh Avenue between West 31st and West 33rd Streets, such signs shall prominently identify the entrance to Pennsylvania Station to pedestrians on both Seventh Avenue and West 32nd Street. All such informational signs shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) such signs shall contain only transit information;
(2) such signs shall be illuminated and located no less than 12 feet above and no more than 25 feet above curb level;
(3) such signs shall contain the word "Subway" and/or appropriate other rail mass transit identification and transit line symbols. The graphic standards shall adhere to New York City Transit or other pertinent transit agency standards with all letters no less than three feet and transit symbols no less than two feet in dimension;
(4) such signs shall be no less than 30 feet in length on each street and shall extend farther than 30 feet in order to include the actual entrance; and
(5) such signs may project up to five feet beyond the street line.
(b) At the rail mass transit or subway entrance, a marquee shall be provided to further identify the entrance and shall:
(1) contain only transit sign information;
(2) be illuminated and located no less than 12 feet above and no more than 25 feet above curb level;
(3) have a minimum length of 20 feet or the full width of the entrance, whichever is less;
(4) project no less than five feet beyond the transit or subway informational sign; and
(5) include illuminated mass transit identification and transit line symbols that meet the New York City Transit or other pertinent transit agency standards.