1224.34.6 Radiosurgery Suite
If radiosurgery (gamma knife/cyber knife) is provided, the following shall be provided:
The radiosurgery suite shall be located near the imaging services suite to facilitate image acquisition prior to radiosurgery treatment. Location of gamma knife or cyber knife treatment rooms in a radiation therapy suite shall be permitted.
Radiosurgery (gamma knife/cyber knife) treatment rooms shall provide a minimum clearance of 4 feet (1218 mm) shall be provided on all sides of the treatment table/chair. The door shall not encroach on the equipment or on patient circulation or transfer space. A handwashing station shall be provided in each radiosurgery treatment room.
If provided, pre-procedure/recovery patient care stations shall meet the following requirements:
- Pre-procedure and recovery area(s) shall be immediately accessible to procedure rooms and separate from corridors. The pre-procedure and recovery patient area or room shall be arranged to permit visual observation of the patient by staff before and after the procedure. Bays, cubicles, or single-bed rooms shall be permitted to serve as patient care stations.
- Area. Where open bays are used, each patient care station shall have a minimum clear floor area of 80 square feet (7.43 m2).
- Clearances. Each bay or cubicle shall have a minimum clearance of 3 feet (914 mm) between walls or partitions and the sides and foot of gurneys or patient beds. Each bay shall have a minimum clearance of 4 feet (1218 mm) between sides of gurneys or patient beds.
- Patient privacy. Provisions such as cubicle curtains shall be provided for patient privacy.
- Handwashing station. A handwashing station shall be provided within the pre-procedure/ recovery area.
The following shall be provided:
- Space for sterilization of head-frames.
- Area for target planning.
- Medication station.
- Nourishment area.
- Head-frame storage.
- Toilet room(s) for patients, staff and the public.
- Area for sedation of pediatric patients.