E3906.8.5 Raceway Supported Enclosures, With Devices or Luminaire
An enclosure that contains a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire, lampholder or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 100 cubic inches (1640 cm3) in size. The enclosure shall have threaded entries or identified hubs. The enclosure shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrench-tight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 18 inches (457 mm) of the enclosure. [314.23(F)]
- Rigid metal or intermediate metal conduit shall be permitted to support a conduit body of any size, provided that the conduit bodies are not larger in trade size than the largest trade size of the supporting conduit. [314.23(F) Exception No. 1]
- 2.1. The conduit is securely fastened at a point so that the length of conduit beyond the last point of conduit support does not exceed 3 feet (914 mm).
- 2.2. The unbroken conduit length before the last point of conduit support is 12 inches (305 mm) or greater, and that portion of the conduit is securely fastened at some point not less than 12 inches (305 mm) from its last point of support.
- 2.3. Where accessible to unqualified persons, the luminaire or lampholder, measured to its lowest point, is not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) above grade or standing area and at least 3 feet (914 mm) measured horizontally to the 8-foot (2438 mm) elevation from windows, doors, porches, fire escapes, or similar locations.
- 2.4. A luminaire supported by a single conduit does not exceed 12 inches (305 mm) in any direction from the point of conduit entry.
- 2.5. The weight supported by any single conduit does not exceed 20 pounds (9.1 kg).
- 2.6. At the luminaire or lampholder end, the conduit(s) is threaded wrenchtight into the box, conduit body, or integral wiring enclosure, or into hubs identified for the purpose. Where a box or conduit body is used for support, the luminaire shall be secured directly to the box or conduit body, or through a threaded conduit nipple not over 3 inches (76 mm) long. [314.23(F) Exception No. 2]