2705.2.3.4 Pyrophoric Solids, Liquids and Class 3 Water-Reactive Liquids
Pyrophoric liquids and Class 3 water-reactive liquids in containers greater than 0.5-gallon (2 L) but not exceeding 5.3-gallon (20 L) capacity and pyrophoric solids in containers greater than 4.4 pounds (2 kg) but not exceeding 44 pounds (20 kg) shall be allowed at workstations where located inside cabinets and the following conditions are met:
- Maximum amount per cabinet: The maximum amount per cabinet shall be limited to 5.3 gallons (20 L) of liquids and 44 pounds (20 kg) of total liquids and solids.
- 2.1. Cabinets shall be constructed of not less than 0.097-inch (2.5 mm) (12 gage) steel.
- 2.2. Cabinets shall be permitted to have self-closing limited access ports or noncombustible windows that provide access to equipment controls.
- 2.3. Cabinets shall be provided with self- or manual-closing doors. Manual-closing doors shall be equipped with a door switch that will initiate local audible and visual alarms when the door is in the open position.
- 3.1. The system shall be designed to operate at a negative pressure in relation to the surrounding area.
- 3.2. The system shall be equipped with monitoring equipment to ensure that required exhaust flow or static pressure is provided.
- 3.3. Low-flow or static pressure conditions shall send an alarm to the on-site emergency control station. The alarm shall be both visual and audible.
- Cabinet spill containment: Spill containment shall be provided in each cabinet, with the spill containment capable of holding the contents of the aggregate amount of liquids in containers in each cabinet.
- Valves: Valves in supply piping between the product containers in the cabinet and the workstation served by the containers shall fail in the closed position upon power failure, loss of exhaust ventilation and upon actuation of the fire control system.
- 6.1. Automatic detection system: UV/IR, high-sensitivity smoke detection (HSSD) or other approved detection systems shall be provided inside each cabinet.
- 6.2. Automatic shutoff: Activation of the detection system shall automatically close the shutoff valves at the source on the liquid supply.
- 6.3. Alarms and signals: Activation of the detection system shall initiate a local alarm within the fabrication area and transmit a signal to the emergency control station. The alarms and signals shall be both visual and audible.