JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
This section establishes off-street parking requirements as a necessary part of the development and use of land, to ensure the safe and adequate flow of traffic in the public street system, and to ensure that parking areas are designed to perform in a safe, efficient manner. It is also the intent of this section to manage the adverse visual, environmental, and economic impacts of parking areas. Specific purposes include to:
- Ensure that off-street parking, loading, and access demands will be met without adversely affecting nearby land uses and neighborhoods;
- Provide for vehicle and pedestrian circulation and safety in parking areas, and create a safe and more pedestrian-friendly environment;
- Improve the visual appearance of public street corridors by encouraging buildings and other attractive site features to become more prominent relative to parking areas;
- Provide for better pedestrian movement and encourage alternative modes of transportation by reducing the expanses of parking that must be traversed between destinations;
- Support a balanced transportation system that is consistent with cleaner air and water, greater transportation choices, and efficient infill and redevelopment; and
- Allow flexibility in addressing vehicle parking, loading, and access issues, including providing alternatives to standard required surface parking.
- New Construction and Additions.
The provisions of this Chapter 14-800 apply to structures that are newly-erected or expanded, except for the following:
- Development that increases by 25% or less the number of dwelling units in the structure or the gross floor area of the structure, where there is no change of use; and
- Structures that are destroyed, as set forth in § 14-305(10) (Reconstruction of Destroyed Structures).
- Change of Use.
- The parking and loading requirements of this section are applicable to any change of use that requires more parking and loading spaces than the existing use as set forth by this Zoning Code, except as set forth in § 14-801(2)(b)(2), below.
- The minimum parking and loading requirements of this section do not apply to any change of use within a structure constructed before the effective date of this Zoning Code, provided that the changes is to a permitted or approved special exception use for the zoning district where the lot is located.
- More Specific Standards Elsewhere in the Zoning Code.
When an individual zoning district or the rules and exceptions for the zoning districts in another section of this Zoning Code contain parking and/or loading requirements that are different than the requirements of this section, the requirements in those sections shall take precedence over this section.
Except as otherwise expressly provided in this Zoning Code, required off-street parking, loading, and vehicle stacking spaces shall be located on the same lot as the principal use and must have adequate access to a street or driveway connecting to a street.
- Use of Required Parking Areas for Parking Only.
Required accessory off-street parking spaces in any district shall not be used for open storage, sale, or rental of goods, or storage of inoperable vehicles, unless otherwise permitted in this Code.
- Rules of Parking Measurement.
- Unless otherwise expressly stated, all area-based parking standards must be computed on the basis of gross floor area and all parking standards must be computed by using the given parking standard as a ratio. No minimum number of sq. ft., unit, beds, seats, or other criterion must be met for the required parking standard to be applied.
- Whenever the calculations of required off-street parking spaces pursuant to this Chapter 14-800 result in a fraction of a parking space, and the fraction is equal to or greater than one-half, the number of required spaces shall be rounded up to the next whole number. If the calculation results in a fraction less than one-half, the fractional portion of the requirement or maximum shall be ignored.
- The following types of parking spaces shall count towards the satisfaction of minimum off-street parking requirements:
- Accessible parking;
- Vanpool and carpool parking;
- Auto-share parking space;
- Underground parking, and parking within, above, or beneath the building(s) it serves; and
- Accessory parking spaces required for residential uses within mixed-use developments.
- Parking required for extensions or additions for nonresidential uses in Residential districts and for all uses in Industrial districts shall be computed for the floor area of the extended or added portion only.
Related Code Sections
to standard required surface parking.
New Construction and Additions. The provisions of this Chapter 14-800 apply to structures ...
S220, as applicable. Other steel furnished for structural load-carrying purposes shall be properly identified for conformity to the ordered grade ...
be applicable. The codes and standards referenced ...
ASTM F1760‒01(2011) Standard Specification for Coextruded Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (PVC) Non- Pressure Plastic Pipe Having Reprocessed ...
referenced in this code. Wood structural panel components shall be designed and fabricated in accordance with the applicable standards listed in Section ...
Calculate Code Requirements
Code Calculators automatically generate a detailed list of requirements.
Upgrade to premium to access these features.
UpCodes provides an intuitive resource to navigate building regulations.
Codes are organized by jurisdiction to help you understand which regulations apply to your project.
Find Your Codes