Section 449 Public Libraries [SL and SFM]
Public libraries funded from the California Library Construction and Renovation Act of 1988.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be installed in:
All fire protection systems shall be monitored by a fire alarm supervising station in accordance with the NFPA 72.
Any interior book return with a slot piercing the exterior wall shall have a separate sprinkler head and be enclosed in fire-rated construction.
For public libraries constructed with funds awarded under the California Reading and Literacy Improvement and Public Library Construction and Renovation Bond Act of 2000:
- Fire sprinkler system requirement. All libraries funded for new construction, including additions, shall have automatic fire sprinkler systems installed.
- Fire sprinkler system requirement for renovations of existing facilities. If there is no automatic fire sprinkler system in the existing facility, grant recipients shall be required to install a fire sprinkler system throughout the existing facility.
- Fire sprinkler system types. The grant recipient may choose, on approval by the local fire authority, from wet-pipe, dry-pipe or pre-action systems, utilizing listed standard, early suppression fast response (ESFR), or on/off type sprinkler heads.
- Book return rooms and slots. Book return rooms with slots in exterior walls shall have an automatic sprinkler head and be of approved fire-resistive construction. Book return slots and book drops shall have an additional automatic sprinkler head when shielded from the room sprinkler head.
- System monitoring requirement. All fire protection systems shall be monitored by a fire alarm supervising station in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 72.
- Alternate fire-extinguishing systems for specialized areas. When approved by the fire authority having jurisdiction, other types of approved automatic fire-extinguishing systems may be utilized as an alternate to sprinklers in the following areas: rare book rooms, central computer rooms and telecommunication rooms.
- Automatic sprinkler system plan requirement. Fire sprinkler system drawings shall use the furniture plan as a background for coordination with furniture and book stack location and height.