// CODE SNIPPET
2203.2.1 Protection of Structural Steel
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
All structural steel shall receive one coat of paint, zinc, or bituminous coating, or equivalent metal protection before erection. The protection shall be applied thoroughly and evenly to dry surfaces which have been cleaned of loose mill scale, loose rust, weld slag flux deposit, dirt, and other foreign matter. Oil and grease deposits shall be removed. Surfaces inaccessible after assembly shall be treated as required by this section prior to assembly. Structural steel that will remain exposed to the weather or to a corrosive atmosphere shall receive an additional coat of metal protection of another color after erection, except for types of structural steels that have been specifically intended for use under exposure to the weather without protection. All abrasions to, or deteriorations of, the protective coating shall be spot painted.
Exceptions: Surfaces of structural steel shall not be required to receive metal protection when the structural steel is used under the conditions listed below. However, these surfaces shall be cleaned of oil and grease by solvent cleaners and be cleaned of dirt and other foreign material by thorough brushing with a fiber brush.
1. Structural steel that is encased in concrete (other than cinder concrete) or surfaces that abut concrete (other than cinder concrete) at interior locations.
2. Structural steel encased in non-corrosive fire resistive materials that are bonded or secured to the steel surfaces by approved means.
3. Surfaces of structural steel that are to be riveted, bolted or welded together; provided, however, that parts of structural members left unpainted because of welding, bolting or riveting operations are not exempted from painting and shall receive a field application of approved metal protection.
4. Surfaces of structural steel within 2 inches (51 mm) of field welds shall be free of protective coatings that would prevent proper welding or produce objectionable fumes while welding is being done.
5. Surfaces of structural steel that have been machine finished.
6. Surfaces of types of structural steel that have been specifically approved for use without metal protection.
7. Structural steel members that are completely concealed by interior finish such as lath and plaster, and masonry, need not be painted except that where such members are subject to condensation from piping, are in shower or steam rooms, are exposed to chemical fumes or are exposed to other conditions of potentially aggressive corrosion.
Related Code Sections
2203.2.1 Steel, Protection of Structural Steel
All structural steel shall receive one coat of paint, zinc, or bituminous coating, or equivalent metal protection before erection. The protection ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 22 Steel > 2203 Indentification and Protection of Steel for Structural Purposes > 2203.2 Protection > 2203.2.1 Protection of Structural Steel
Section 2203 Steel, Identification and Protection of Steel for Structural Purposes
structural members and assembled panels of cold-formed steel construction shall be protected against corrosion in accordance with the requirements ...
NYC Building Code 2014 > 22 Steel > 2203 Identification and Protection of Steel for Structural Purposes
Reference Standard 10 Structural Work [PDF] (page 26)
above prior to assembly. (b) Surfaces of structural steel shall not be required to receive metal protection when the structural steel is used under ...
Reference Standard 10 Structural Work [PDF] (page 29)
protection when the structural steel is used under the conditions listed in paragraph (1) through (7) below. However, these surfaces shall be cleaned ...
7188.8.131.52 Fire-Resistance-Rated Construction, Gypsum Wallboard Protection
The fire resistance of structural steel columns with weight to-heated-perimeter ratios (W/D) less than or equal to 3.65 and which are protected ...
NYC Building Code 2008 > 7 Fire-Resistance-Rated Construction > 721 Calculated Fire Resistance > 721.5 Steel Assemblies > 721.5.1 Structural Steel Columns > 7184.108.40.206 Gypsum Wallboard Protection