Treatment room(s) for minor procedures (e.g. minor surgical procedures, casting), if provided, shall have a minimum area of 120 square feet (11.15 m2), the least dimension of which shall be a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm), excluding such spaces as vestibules and work counters, and shall meet the requirements in Section 118.104.22.168.
When provided, the examination and treatment space shall be permitted to be a room or a patient care station in an open treatment area.
This space is required for each station in an open operatory or treatment area. A minimum of 3 feet (915 mm) clearance shall be provided along the full length of one side of the chair, the head of the chair, and between the cuspidor and the head of the chair on the other side for assisting dental staff.
At least one private consultation/treatment room shall be provided when pediatric patients are treated in a facility.
Each treatment room shall include a handwashing station. If treatment is provided at stations in an open operatory, a handwashing station may be permitted to serve two treatment stations.
When provided, treatment areas for procedures for which general anesthesia is used, shall comply with the requirements in Section 1226.8.
Dental facilities must provide a consultation room for private conferences with patients.
If sterile processing and/or high level disinfection is provided, the sterile processing room shall consist of a decontamination area and a clean work area. The sterile processing/high level disinfection room shall be designed to provide one-way flow of contaminated materials/instruments to the sterilizer/high level disinfection equipment. Sterile/high level disinfected instruments should be distributed from the area in such a manner that processed items do not pass through the decontamination area.
The decontamination area shall be equipped with the following:
- Countertop, separated from clean countertop by 4 feet minimum distance.
- Handwashing station separate from the instrument washing sink.
- Sink for washing instruments. To avoid splash, the decontamination sink shall be separated from the clean work area by either a 4-foot distance from the edge of the sink or a separating wall or screen. If a screen is used, it shall extend a minimum of 4 feet (1220 mm) above the sink rim.
- Storage for supplies.
The clean work area shall be equipped with the following:
- Countertop, separated from decontamination countertop by 4 feet minimum distance.
- Sterilizer/high level disinfection equipment, as required for the services provided.
- Handwashing station, may share with decontamination area handwashing station.
- Built-in storage for supplies.
When provided, refer to Section 122.214.171.124.