Section A5.204 Prescriptive Approach
[OSHPD 1 & 4] Building commissioning shall be included in the design and construction processes of the building project to verify that the building's energy related systems are installed, calibrated and perform according to the owner's project requirements, basis of design and construction documents.
The owner and designer shall designate an individual as the Commissioning Authority (CxA) to lead, review and oversee the completion of the commissioning process activities. The owner shall document the Owner's Project Requirements (OPR). The design team shall develop the Basis of Design (BOD). The CxA shall review these documents for clarity and completeness. The owner and design team shall be responsible for updates to their respective documents, develop and incorporate commissioning requirements into the construction documents and develop and implement a commissioning plan. The CxA shall verify the installation and performance of the systems to be commissioned, verify that training and operation and maintenance documentation have been provided to the owner's operations staff and complete a commissioning report.
Commissioning process activities shall be completed for the following energy-related systems, at a minimum:
- Heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC&R) systems (mechanical and passive) and associated controls.
- Lighting and daylighting controls.
- Domestic hot water systems.
- Renewable energy systems (wind, solar, etc.).
- Building envelope systems.
The expectations and requirements of the building shall be documented by the owner and the designer before the design phase of the project begins. This shall be reviewed by the CxA. At a minimum, this documentation shall include the following:
- Environmental and sustainability goals.
- Energy efficiency goals.
- Indoor environmental quality requirements.
- Equipment and systems expectations.
- Building occupant and O&M personnel expectations.
A written explanation of how the design of the building systems meets the Owner's Project Requirements shall be completed at the design phase of the building project and updated as necessary during the design and construction phases. This shall be reviewed by the CxA. At a minimum, the Basis of Design document shall cover the following systems:
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning (hvac) systems and controls.
- Indoor lighting system and controls.
- Water heating system.
- Renewable energy systems.
A commissioning plan shall be completed to document the approach to how the project will be commissioned and shall be started during the design phase of the building project. This shall be reviewed by the CxA. The Commissioning Plan shall include the following at a minimum:
- General project information.
- Commissioning goals.
- Commissioning team information.
- Commissioning process activities, schedules and responsibilities — plans for the completion of commissioning requirements listed in Sections A188.8.131.52 through A184.108.40.206 shall be included.
Documentation of the operational aspects of the building shall be completed within the systems manual and delivered to the building owner and facilities operator. This shall be reviewed by the CxA. At a minimum, the systems manual shall include the following:
- Site information, including facility description, history and current requirements.
- Site contact information.
- Basic operations and maintenance, including general site operating procedures, basic troubleshooting, recommended maintenance requirements, site events log.
- Major systems.
- Site equipment inventory and maintenance notes.
- Other resources and documentation.
The CxA shall oversee the training of the appropriate maintenance staff for each equipment type and/or system. The training shall include, as a minimum, the following:
- System/equipment overview (what it is, what it does and what other systems and/or equipment it interfaces with).
- Review of the information in the systems manual.
- Review of the record drawings on the system/ equipment.