695.6 Power Wiring
Exception: The supply conductors within the fire pump room shall not be required to meet 230.6(1) or (2).
- Independent Routing. The conductors shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring.
- Associated Fire Pump Loads. The conductors shall supply only loads that are directly associated with the fire pump system.
- Protection from Potential Damage. The conductors shall be protected from potential damage by fire, structural failure, or operational accident.
- Inside of a Building. Where routed through a building, the conductors shall be protected from fire for 2 hours using one of the following methods:
- The cable or raceway is encased in a minimum 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete.
- The cable or raceway is a listed fire-resistive cable system.
Informational Note No. 1: Fire-resistive cables are tested to ANSI/UL 2196-2017, Standard for Fire Test, for Circuit Integrity of Fire-Resistive Power, Instrumentation, Control and Data Cables.
Informational Note No. 2: The listing organization provides information for fire-resistive cable systems on proper installation requirements to maintain the fire rating.
- The cable or raceway is a listed electrical circuit protective system.
Informational Note No. 1: Electrical circuit protective systems could include, but are not limited to, thermal barriers or a protective shaft and are tested in accordance with UL 1724, Fire Tests for Electrical Circuit Protection Systems.
Informational Note No. 2: The listing organization provides information for electrical circuit protective systems on proper installation requirements to maintain the fire rating.
Exception to 695.6(A)(2)(4): The supply conductors located in the electrical equipment room where they originate and in the fire pump room shall, not be required to have the minimum 2-hour fire separation or fire-resistance rating unless otherwise required by 700.10(D) of this Code.
Exception No. 2: For an on-site standby generator(s) rated to produce continuous current in excess of 225 percent of the full-load amperes of the fire pump motor, the conductors between the on-site generator(s) and the combination fire pump transfer switch controller or separately mounted transfer switch shall be installed in accordance with 695.6(A)(2).
- A junction box shall be installed ahead of the fire pump controller a minimum of 300 mm (12 in.) beyond the fire-rated wall or floor bounding the fire zone.
- Where required by the manufacturer of a listed electrical circuit protective system or by the listing, or as required elsewhere in this Code, the raceway between a junction box and the fire pump controller shall be sealed at the junction box end as required and in accordance with the instructions of the manufacturer. [20:9.8.2]
- Standard wiring between the junction box and the controller shall be permitted. [20:9.8.3]
- The junction box shall be securely mounted. [20:9.7(1)]
- Mounting and installing of a junction box shall not violate the enclosure type rating of the fire pump controller(s). [20:9.7(2)]
- Mounting and installing of a junction box shall not violate the integrity of the fire pump controller(s) and shall not affect the short-circuit current rating of the controller(s).
- As a minimum, a Type 2, drip-proof enclosure (junction box) shall be used where installed in the fire pump room. The enclosure shall be listed to match the fire pump controller enclosure type rating. [20:9.7(4)]
- Terminals, junction blocks, wire connectors, and splices, where used, shall be listed. [20:9.7(5)]
- A fire pump controller or fire pump power transfer switch, where provided, shall not be used as a junction box to supply other equipment, including a pressure maintenance (jockey) pump(s).
- Raceway or cable fittings listed and identified for use in wet locations shall be used.
- The type rating of the raceway or cable fittings shall be at least equal to that of the fire pump controller.
- The installation instructions of the manufacturer of the fire pump controller shall be followed.
- Alterations to the fire pump controller, other than raceway or cable terminations as allowed elsewhere in this Code, shall be approved by the authority having jurisdiction.