Section 906 Portable Fire Extinguishers
- In Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4 and S occupancies.
- In Group R-2 occupancies, portable fire extinguishers shall be required only in locations specified in Items 2 through 6 where each dwelling unit is provided with a portable fire extinguisher having a minimum rating of 1-A:10-B:C.
- In Group E occupancies. portable fire extinguishers shall be required only in locations specified in Items 2 through 6 where each classroom is provided with a portable fire extinguisher having a minimum rating of 2-A:20-B:C.
- Within 30 feet (9144 mm) distance of travel from commercial cooking equipment and from domestic cooking equipment in Group I-1; I-2, Condition 1; and R-2 college dormitory occupancies.
- In areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored, used or dispensed.
- On each floor of structures under construction, except Group R-3 occupancies, in accordance with Section 3315.1 of the International Fire Code.
- Where required by the International Fire Code sections indicated in Table 906.1.
- Special-hazard areas, including but not limited to laboratories, computer rooms and generator rooms, where required by the fire code official.
|309.4||Powered industrial trucks|
|2005.2||Aircraft towing vehicles|
|2005.3||Aircraft welding apparatus|
|2005.4||Aircraft fuel-servicing tank vehicles|
|2005.5||Aircraft hydrant fuel-servicing vehicles|
|2005.6||Aircraft fuel-dispensing stations|
|2007.7||Heliports and helistops|
|2108.4||Dry cleaning plants|
|2305.5||Motor fuel-dispensing facilities|
|2310.6.4||Marine motor fuel-dispensing facilities|
|2809.5||Exterior lumber storage|
|3104.12||Tents and membrane structures|
|3315.1||Buildings under construction or demolition|
|3504.2.6||Welding and other hot work|
|5703.2.1||Flammable and combustible liquids, general|
|5704.3.3.1||Indoor storage of flammable and combustible liquids|
|5704.3.7.5.2||Liquid storage rooms for flammable and combustible liquids|
|5705.4.9||Solvent distillation units|
|5706.2.7||Farms and construction sites—flammable and combustible liquids storage|
|5706.4.10.1||Bulk plants and terminals for flammable and combustible liquids|
|5706.5.4.5||Commercial, industrial, governmental or manufacturing establishments—fuel dispensing|
|5706.6.4||Tank vehicles for flammable and combustible liquids|
- The distance of travel to reach an extinguisher shall not apply to the spectator seating portions of Group A-5 occupancies.
- In Group I-3, portable fire extinguishers shall be permitted to be located at staff locations.
|Maximum floor area
per unit of A
|Maximum floor area
|Maximum distance of
travel to extinguisher
|75 feet||75 feet||75 feet|
- Two 21/2-gallon water-type extinguishers shall be deemed the equivalent of one 4-A rated extinguisher.
- Annex E.3.3 of NFPA 10 provides more details concerning application of the maximum floor area criteria.
- Two water-type extinguishers each with a 1-A rating shall be deemed the equivalent of one 2-A rated extinguisher for Light (Low) Hazard Occupancies.
|TYPE OF HAZARD||BASIC MINIMUM
DISTANCE OF TRAVEL
- For requirements on water-soluble flammable liquids and alternative sizing criteria, see Section 5.5 of NFPA 10.
Portable fire extinguishers for occupancies involving flammable or combustible liquids with depths less than or equal to 0.25-inch (6.4 mm) shall be selected and placed in accordance with Table 906.3(2).
Portable fire extinguishers for occupancies involving flammable or combustible liquids with a depth of greater than 0.25-inch (6.4 mm) shall be selected and placed in accordance with NFPA 10.
- Where portable fire extinguishers subject to malicious use or damage are provided with a means of ready access.
- In Group I-3 occupancies and in mental health areas in Group I-2 occupancies, access to portable fire extinguishers shall be permitted to be locked or to be located in staff locations provided that the staff has keys.