// CODE SNIPPET
Section G2416 (405) Piping Bends and Changes in Direction
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Metallic pipe bends shall comply with the following:
- Bends shall be made only with bending tools and procedures intended for that purpose.
- Bends shall be smooth and free from buckling, cracks or other evidence of mechanical damage.
- The longitudinal weld of the pipe shall be near the neutral axis of the bend.
- Pipe shall not be bent through an arc of more than 90 degrees (1.6 rad).
- The inside radius of a bend shall be not less than six times the outside diameter of the pipe.
Plastic pipe bends shall comply with the following:
- Thepipe shall not be damaged and the internal diameter of the pipe shall not be effectively reduced.
- Joints shall not be located in pipe bends.
- The radius of the inner curve of such bends shall be not less than 25 times the inside diameter of the pipe.
- Where the piping manufacturer specifies the use of special bending tools or procedures, such tools or procedures shall be used.