9.2.6* Pipe Stands
- Pipe stands shall be designed to support five times the weight of water-filled pipe plus 250 lb (115 kg) at each point of piping support.
- These points of support shall be adequate to support the system.
- The spacing between pipe stands shall not exceed the value given for the type of pipe as indicated in Table 18.104.22.168(a) or Table 22.214.171.124(b).
- Pipe stand components shall be ferrous.
- Detailed calculations shall be submitted, when required by the reviewing authority, showing stresses developed in the pipe stand, the system piping and fittings, and safety factors allowed.
|Table 126.96.36.199.1 and Table 188.8.131.52.3 were revised by a tentative interim amendment (TIA). See page 1.|
Table 184.108.40.206.1 Maximum Pipe Stand Heights
|System Pipe Diameter*||Pipe Stand Diameter*|
|11/2 in||2 in.||21/2 in.||3 in.||4 in.||6 in.|
|11/2 in.||6.6 ft||9.4 ft||11.3 ft||13.8 ft||18.0 ft||26.8 ft|
|2 in.||4.4 ft||9.4 ft||11.3 ft||13.8 ft||18.0 ft||26.8 ft|
|21/2 in.||—||8.1 ft||11.3 ft||13.8 ft||18.0 ft||26.8 ft|
|3 in.||—||5.2 ft||11.3 ft||13.8 ft||18.0 ft||26.8 ft|
|4 in. up to and including 8 in.||—||—||—||—||14.7 ft||26.8 ft|
|For SI units, 1 in. = 25.4 mm; 1 ft = 0.305 m.|
|*System piping is assumed to be Schedule 40 (8 in. is Schedule 30).|
|†Pipe stands are Schedule 40 pipe.|
- The maximum height shall be 4 ft (1.2 m), as measured from the base of the pipe stand to the centerline of the pipe being supported.
- *The pipe stand shall be axially loaded.
Table 220.127.116.11.3 Required Section Modulus for Pipe Stand Horizontal Support Arms (in.3)
|Nominal Diameter of Pipe Being Supported (in.)||1||11/4||11/2||2||21/2||3||31/2||4||5||6||8|
|Section Modulus - Schedule 10 Steel||0.22||0.23||0.24||0.25||0.30||0.36||0.42||0.49||0.66||0.85||1.40|
|Section Modulus - Schedule 40 Steel||0.22||0.24||0.24||0.27||0.36||0.45||0.54||0.63||0.86||1.13||1.64|
For SI units, 1 in. = 25.4 mm.
Note: The table is based on the controlling section modulus determined for a concentrated load at a 1 ft (0.3 m) cantilever using one of the following: (1) a maximum bending stress of 15 ksi (103 MPa) and a concentrated load equal to the weight of 15 ft (4.6 m) of water-filled pipe plus 250 lb (114 kg), or (2) a maximum bending stress of 28 ksi (193 MPa) and a concentrated load equal to five times the weight of 15 ft (4.6 m) of water-filled pipe plus 250 lb (114 kg).