// CODE SNIPPET
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Buildings on piers not meeting the requirements of 188.8.131.52 and occupied for other than cargo handling and storage shall be in accordance with both of the following:
- Means of egress shall be arranged in accordance with Chapters 12 through 43.
- One of the following measures shall be provided on piers extending over 150 ft (46 m) from shore to minimize the possibility that fire under or on the pier blocks the escape of occupants to shore:
- The pier shall be arranged to provide two separate ways to travel to shore, such as by two well-separated walkways or independent structures.
- The pier deck shall be open, fire resistive, and set on noncombustible supports.
- The pier shall be open, unobstructed, and not less than 50 ft (15 m) in width if less than 500 ft (150 m) long, or its width shall be not less than 10 percent of its length if more than 500 ft (150 m) long.
- The pier deck shall be provided with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 9.7 for combustible substructures and all superstructures.
- The sprinkler system specified in 184.108.40.206(2)(d) shall be supervised where required by the applicable occupancy chapter, Chapters 12 through 42.