- Within 45 days after the date of receiving a petition, the Commission shall determine whether the petition meets the requirements of this article for petitions and provide the petitioner written notification on the Commission's determination and/or related action(s).
- If the Commission determines that the petition does not meet the requirements of this article for petitions, the petition shall be returned to the petitioner without action but with written notification including itemization of the missing or incomplete items. he Commission shall retain a copy of the petition being returned to the petitioner in accordance with subparagraph (f).
- If the Commission determines that the petition meets the requirements of this article for petitions and the subject matter of the petition is within the Commission's jurisdiction provided in statute, the Commission shall provide the petitioner written notification of the acceptance of the petition and planned action. The Commission shall act on the accepted petition during the next regularly scheduled code adoption cycle.
- If the Commission determines the subject matter of a petition is within the specific jurisdiction of another proposing or adopting agency, the Commission shall forward the complete petition to that agency for its review and determination. The forwarded petition shall be accompanied by a copy of the Commission's written notification to the petitioner, which shall indicate the petition has been forwarded to the identified proposing or adopting agency having jurisdiction for its review and determination.
- Upon receipt of a petition forwarded by the Commission, the proposing or adopting agency shall act in accordance with Section 1-321. If a proposing or dopting agency disagrees with the Commission's determination in forwarding a petition to its agency, and thus sends the forwarded petition back to the Commission, the Commission shall return the petition to the petitioner, without action, within 30 days of receipt of the petition returned by the proposing or adopting agency, in accordance with the procedures provided in this section.
- The Commission shall maintain records relating to the submittal, status and correspondence of petitions received by the Commission.
Authority: Health and Safety Code Sections 18931 and 18949.6.
Reference: Health and Safety Code Sections 18931 and 18949.6.