person is not required to obtain a permit to perform mechanical work on any of the following items:
- A portable heating or gas appliance that has inputs of less than 30,000 Btu's per hour.
- Portable ventilation appliances and equipment.
- A portable cooling unit.
- Steam, hot water, or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment or appliances regulated by the code.
- The replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of equipment or an appliance or make such equipment or appliance unsafe.
- A portable evaporative cooler.
- Self-contained refrigeration systems that contain 10 pounds or less of refrigerant, or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less.
- Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
- An oil burner that does not require connection to a flue, such as an oil stove and a heater equipped with a wick.
- A portable gas burner that has inputs of less than 30,000 Btu's per hour.
- When changing or relocating a gas meter or regulator, a permit is not required when installing gas piping which shall be limited to 10 feet in length and not more than 6 fittings.
- When installing geothermal vertical closed loops
under the supervision of a mechanical contractor
licensed in HV AC as long as the company meets both
- Has obtained a certificate of registration as a well drilling contractor pursuant to part 127 of the public health code.
- Has installed the geothermal vertical closed loops in accordance with the department of environmental quality's best practices regarding geothermal heat pump closed loops