There shall be installed a straight line of slip resistant tile a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) and not greater than 6 inches (152 mm) wide of a color contrasting with the background of the pool shell across the bottom of the pool where the water depth is 41/2 feet (1372 mm).
Exception: Pools having a maximum water depth of 5 feet (1524 mm) or less shall not be required to have a depth marking line.
The water depth shall be clearly marked at the following locations:
- Maximum depth; and
- Minimum depth; and
- Each end; and
- Both sides at the shallowest and deepest part of the pool; and
- At the break in the bottom slope between the shallow and deep portions of the pool (see also Section 3109B.3); and
- Along the perimeter of the pool at distances not to exceed 25 feet (7620 mm).
Exception: A spa or wading pool shall have a minimum of two depth markers indicating the maximum depth.
Note: For an illustration diagram pertaining to this section see Figure 31B-8.
Where required by Section 3110B.4.1, depth markers shall be located in the following positions:
- On the coping or on the deck, the depth markers shall be placed as close as possible but no more than 3 feet (914 mm) from the pool water; and
- For pools with skimmer systems the depth markers shall be high at the waterline which typically will result in the depth markers being submerged approximately 50 percent; or
- For pools with perimeter overflow systems where coping cantilevers over the gutter depth markers may be positioned at the face of the cantilevered coping, the back wall above the gutter or immediately below the waterline which will result in the depth markers being completely submerged; or
- For pools with rim flow gutters, depth markers shall be positioned immediately below the waterline which will result in the depth markers being completely submerged.
Depth markers shall be positioned to indicate the water depth accurate to the nearest 6 inches (152 mm) as measured at the waterline.
Depth markers shall:
- Have numerals a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) in height and of a color contrasting with the background and be marked in units of feet and inches. Abbreviations of FT and IN may be used in lieu of feet and inches; and
- Be made of a durable material that is resistant to weathering; and
- Be slip resistant when they are located on the pool deck.
For pool water depths 6 feet (1830 mm) or less no diving markers with the universal symbol of no diving, which is a red circle with a slash through it superimposed over the image of a diver, shall be installed on the deck directly adjacent to the depth markers required by Section 3110B.4.1. No diving markers shall comply with Section 3110B.4.4(2-3).