// CODE SNIPPET
126.96.36.199.3.3 Permanent Closure in Place
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Underground tanks shall be permitted to be permanently closed in place if approved by the AHJ. All of the following requirements shall be met:
- All applicable AHJs shall be notified.
- * A safe workplace shall be maintained throughout the prescribed activities.
- All flammable and combustible liquids and residues shall be removed from the tank, appurtenances, and piping and shall be disposed of in accordance with regulatory requirements and industry practices, using a written procedure.
- The tank, appurtenances, and piping shall be made safe by either purging them of flammable vapors or inerting the potential explosive atmosphere. Confirmation that the atmosphere in the tank is safe shall be by testing of the atmosphere using a combustible gas indicator if purging, or an oxygen meter if inerting, at intervals in accordance with written procedures.
- Access to the tank shall be made by careful excavation to the top of the tank.
- All exposed piping, gauging and tank fixtures, and other appurtenances, except the vent, shall be disconnected and removed.
- The tank shall be completely filled with an inert solid material.
- The tank vent and remaining underground piping shall be capped or removed.
- The tank excavation shall be backfilled.
Related Code Sections
188.8.131.52.3.3 Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Permanent Closure in Place
Underground tanks shall be permitted to be permanently closed in place if approved by the AHJ. All of the following requirements shall be met: All ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 66 Flammable and Combustible Liquids > 66.21 Storage of Liquids in Tanks — Requirements for All Storage Tanks > 66.21.7 Operation of Storage Tanks > 184.108.40.206 Removal From Service of Storage Tanks > 220.127.116.11.3 Removal From Service of Underground Storage Tanks > 18.104.22.168.3.3 Permanent Closure in Place
22.214.171.124 Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Permanent Closure in Place. (Reserved)
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 66 Flammable and Combustible Liquids > 66.27 Piping Systems > 66.27.12 Removal From Service of Piping Systems > 126.96.36.199 Permanent Closure in Place. (Reserved)
60.1.4 Hazardous Materials, Facility Closure
to be permanently out of service and shall be closed in accordance with 188.8.131.52.1 through 184.108.40.206.2. [ 400: 220.127.116.11 ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 60 Hazardous Materials > 60.1 General Requirements > 60.1.4 Facility Closure
18.104.22.168 Fire Department Access and Water Supply, Closure of Accessways
The AHJ shall be authorized to require the installation and maintenance of gates or other approved barricades across roads, trails, or other ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 18 Fire Department Access and Water Supply > 18.2 Fire Department Access > 18.2.4* Obstruction and Control of Fire Department Access Road > 22.214.171.124 Closure of Accessways
404.15 Gas Piping Installations, Outlet Closures
Gas outlets that do not connect to appliance s shall be capped gas tight. Exception: Listed and labeled flush-mounted-type ...
Fuel Gas Code 2015 of West Virginia > 4 Gas Piping Installations > 404 (IFGC) Piping System Installation > 404.15 Outlet Closures