Use groups and hazard-related occupancies have been allocated to performance groups using the risk factors identified in Section 302.4. Specific buildings and facilities have been allocated to performance groups using the risk factors identified in Section 302.4 combined with the relative importance of protecting the building or facility to the community. These performance group allocations are shown in Table 303.1.
USE AND OCCUPANCY CLASSIFICATIONS FOR SPECIFIC BUILDINGS OR FACILITIES
Buildings and facilities that represent a low hazard to human life in the event of failure, including, but not limited to:
1. Agricultural facilities.
2. Certain temporary facilities.
3. Minor storage facilities.
All buildings and facilities except those listed in Performance Groups I, III and IV.
Buildings and facilities that represent a substantial hazard to human life in the event of failure, including, but not limited to:
1. Buildings and facilities where more than 300 people congregate in one area.
5. Jails and detention facilities.
6. Any other occupancy with an occupant load greater than 5,000.
8. Buildings and facilities not included in Performance Group IV containing sufficient quantities of highly toxic gas or explosive materials capable of causing acutely hazardous conditions that do not extend beyond property boundaries.
2. Fire, rescue and police stations and emergency vehicle garages.
3. Designated earthquake, hurricane or other emergency shelters.
4. Designated emergency preparedness, communication, and operation centers and other facilities required for emergency response.
6. Buildings and facilities containing highly toxic gas or explosive materials capable of causing acutely hazardous conditions beyond the property boundaries.
7. Aviation control towers, air traffic control centers and emergency aircraft hangars.
8. Buildings and facilities having critical national defense functions.
9. Water treatment facilities required to maintain water pressure for fire suppression.
10. Ancillary structures (including, but not limited to, communication towers, fuel storage tanks or other structures housing or supporting water or other fire suppression material or equipment) required for operation of Performance Group IV structures during an emergency.