// CODE SNIPPET
7126.96.36.199 Penetrations of Shaft Enclosures
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Shaft enclosures that are permitted to be penetrated by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected with approved fire and smoke dampers installed in accordance with their listing.
1.1. Steel exhaust subducts are extended at least 22 inches (559 mm) vertically in exhaust shafts provided there is a continuous airflow upward to the outside, or
1.2. Penetrations are tested in accordance with ASTM E 119 as part of the rated assembly, or
1.3. Ducts are used as part of an approved smoke control system designed and installed in accordance with Section 909, and where the fire damper will interfere with the operation of the smoke control system, or
1.4. The penetrations are in parking garage exhaust or supply shafts that are separated from other building shafts by not less than 2-hour fire-resistance-rated construction.
2. In Group B occupancies, equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, smoke dampers are not required at penetrations of shafts where:
2.1. Bathroom and toilet room exhaust openings with steel exhaust subducts, having a wall thickness of at least 0.019 inches (0.48 mm) that extend at least 22 inches (559 mm) vertically and the exhaust fan at the upper terminus, powered continuously in accordance with the provisions of Section 909.11, maintains airflow upward to the outside, or
2.2. Ducts are used as part of an approved smoke control system, designed and installed in accordance with Section 909, and where the smoke damper will interfere with the operation of the smoke control system, or
3. Smoke dampers are not required at penetration of exhaust or supply shafts in parking garages that are separated from other building shafts by not less than 2-hour fire-resistance-rated construction.
4. Fire dampers and smoke dampers shall not be required at a shaft where the shaft is acting as an extension of the mechanical equipment room that it serves and the shaft and mechanical equipment room maintain fire and smoke separation required by the greater of the two spaces from the occupied portions of the building and meet the requirements of Section 707.11.
5. Smoke dampers shall not be required to be located within a prescribed distance of a fire rated enclosure where isolation smoke dampers are used in air-handling equipment.
6. Smoke dampers shall not be required in ducts where the air continues to move and the air-handling system installed is arranged to prevent recirculation of exhaust or return air under fire emergency conditions.