// CODE SNIPPET
1109.3 Penetration of Piping
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Refrigerant piping shall not penetrate floors, ceilings, or roofs.
- Penetrations connecting the basement and the first floor.
- Penetrations connecting the top floor and a machinery penthouse or roof installation.
- Penetrations connecting adjacent floors served by the refrigeration system.
- Penetrations of a direct system where the refrigerant concentration does not exceed that listed in Table 1102.3 for the smallest occupied space through which the refrigerant piping passes.
- In other than industrial occupancies and where the refrigerant concentration exceeds that listed in Table 1102.3 for the smallest occupied space, penetrations that connect separate pieces of equipment that are in accordance with one of the following:
- Enclosed by an approved gastight, fire-resistive duct or shaft with openings to those floors served by the refrigerating system.
- Located on the exterior wall of a building where vented to the outdoors or to the space served by the system and not used as an air shaft, closed court, or similar space. [ASHRAE 15:8.10.3]