3101F.8.2 Peer Review
The Division may require peer review of advanced engineering analyses and designs, including, but not limited to, nonlinear dynamic structural analyses, alternative lateral force procedures, complex geotechnical evaluations, subsea pipeline analyses and designs, and fatigue analyses. Peer review shall be performed by an external independent source to maintain the integrity of the process.
The peer reviewer(s) and their affiliated organization shall have no other involvement in the project, except in a review capacity. The peer reviewer(s) shall be a California registered engineer(s) familiar with regulations governing the work and have technical expertise in the subject matter to a degree of at least that needed for the original work. The peer reviewer(s)' credentials shall be presented to the Division for approval prior to commencement of the review.
Upon completion of the review process, the peer reviewer(s) shall submit a written report directly to the Division that covers all aspects of the review process, including, but not limited to:
- Scope, extent and limitations of the review.
- Status of the documents reviewed at each stage (i.e. revision number and date).
- Recommended corrective actions and resolutions, if necessary.
- Certification by the peer reviewer(s), including whether or not the final reviewed work meets the requirements of this code.
- Formal documentation of important peer review correspondence, including requests for information and written responses.
The owner and operator shall cooperate in the review process, but shall not influence the peer review. If the original work requires modification after completion of the peer review, the final analyses and designs shall be submitted to the Division.