// CODE SNIPPET
1228.13.1 Patient Care Areas
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- At least two separate activity rooms, one appropriate for group recreation and one for quiet activities to serve as a patient lounge, shall be provided.
- Space requirements. The combined area of these rooms shall have a minimum of 25 square feet (2.32 m2) per patient bed, with at least 120 square feet (11.15 m2) of clear floor area for each of the two spaces.
An outdoor activity area shall be provided. Outdoor areas shall meet the following requirements:
- Fences and walls shall be designed to:
- Be installed with tamper-resistant hardware.
- Have a minimum height of 10 feet (3048 mm) above the outdoor area elevation.
- Be anchored and constructed to withstand the body force of a 350-pound (158-kg) person.
- If provided, gates or doors in the fence or wall
- Swing away from the outdoor activity area.
- Have the hinge installed on the outside of the outdoor activity area.
- Be provided with a locking mechanism that has been coordinated with egress requirements of Section 1004.5, Outdoor areas.
- Lights shall not be accessible to patients. Lighting in the outdoor activity area shall not be pole mounted.
- If provided, security cameras shall not be accessible to patients and cameras shall view the entire outdoor activity area.
- If provided, furniture shall be secured from movement. Furniture shall not be placed in locations where it can be used to climb the fence or wall.
- Space for staff conferences, patient evaluation
and progress reports.
- Where outpatients are treated, there shall be a waiting area compliant with the requirements of Section 1228.4.5.