When required in Section 3105F.3, the sway and surge forces, as well as yaw moment, on a moored vessel, due to passing vessels, shall be established considering the following:
- Ratio of length of moored vessel to length of passing vessel.
- Distance from moored vessel to passing vessel.
- Ratio of midship section areas of the moored and passing vessels.
- Underkeel clearances of the moored and passing vessels.
- Draft and trim of the moored vessel and draft of the passing vessel.
- Mooring line tensions.
The passing vessel's speed should take into consideration the ebb or flood current. Normal operating wind and current conditions can be assumed when calculating forces due to a passing vessel. Either method of Kriebel [3.12] or Wang [3.13] may be used to determine forces on a moored vessel. Kriebel's recent wave tank study improves on an earlier work of Seelig [3.14].