87-413 Parking Wrap and Screening Requirements in the Core and South Subdistrict
The following provisions shall apply to any group parking facility in the Core and South Subdistricts:
(a) Design requirements for enclosed group parking facilities
All enclosed group parking facilities shall be located either entirely below the level of an adjacent sidewalk or any other adjacent pedestrian area required to be accessible to the public or, when located above grade, shall comply with the following:
(1) Group parking facilities on the ground floor level within 30 feet of street walls subject to the provisions of Section 87-411 (Ground floor uses) shall be wrapped by floor area in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (a) of Section 37-35 (Parking Wrap and Screening Requirements). For the purpose of applying such provisions, street walls subject to the provisions of Section 87-411 shall be considered designated retail streets.
(2) Group parking facilities along all other frontages shall either be wrapped by floor area, or screened in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (e) of Section 87-415. In addition, any continuous stretch of screening that exceeds 25 feet in width shall provide planting in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (a) of Section 87-415 (Special streetscape provisions for certain blank walls) along 50 percent of such screened frontage.
(b) Open parking areas
Open parking areas shall be permitted only in the following locations:
(1) on Parcel 1, as shown on Map 1 in the Appendix to this Chapter, a parking lot shall be permitted east of the Major Deegan Expressway street line;
(2) on Parcel 5, as shown on Map 1, a parking lot shall be permitted anywhere within the parcel only if a commercial or public utility vehicle storage use, as listed in Use Group 16C, is developed or enlarged as the primary use on the parcel;
(3) on Parcel 6, a parking lot shall be permitted within 130 feet of the southern boundary of the parcel with East 138th Street; and
(4) on all parcels, open, unscreened, in tandem (one behind the other), accessory off-street parking spaces shall be permitted on private roads, including fire apparatus access roads provided pursuant to the provisions of Section 87-61 (Special Provisions for Certain Fire Apparatus Access Roads), provided that all parking spaces comply with the Department of Transportation standards for on-street parking.
For such open parking lots, the provisions of Section 28-43 (Location of Accessory Parking) shall not apply. In addition, on Parcel 1, for parking lots located east of the Major Deegan Expressway street line, or, on Parcel 5, for parking lots used solely as a commercial or public utility vehicle storage use as listed in Use Group 16C, the provisions of Sections 37-90 (PARKING LOTS) and 62-655 (Planting and trees) shall be modified to permit fencing, excluding chain link fencing, in lieu of all planting requirements, provided that the surface area of such fencing is not more than 50 percent opaque and provided that the height does not exceed six feet. The provisions of Sections 37-90 and 62-555 shall not apply to any parking lots provided within private roads, including fire apparatus access roads provided pursuant to the provisions of Section 87-61.