Section 1109A Parking Facilities
Private garages accessory to covered multifamily dwelling units, shall be accessible as required in Section 1109A. Private garages include individual garages and multiple individual garages grouped together.
- A door leading directly from the covered dwelling unit, which immediately enters the garage. The door shall comply on both sides with Sections 1132A.3 through 1132A.9.
- An accessible route of travel from the covered dwelling unit to an exterior door entering the garage. See Section 1132A.1 for requirements at both exit doors.
- An accessible route of travel from the dwelling unit's primary entry door to the vehicular entrance at the garage. See Section 1132A.1 for requirements at the primary entry door.
When assigned parking spaces are provided for a resident or a group of residents, at least 2 percent of the assigned parking spaces serving covered multifamily dwelling units shall be accessible in each type of parking facility. At least one space of each type of parking facility shall be made accessible even if the total number exceeds 2 percent. When assigned parking is provided, signage as required by Section 1109A.8.8 shall not be required.
When parking is provided for covered multifamily dwellings and is not assigned to a resident or a group of residents at least 5 percent of the parking spaces shall be accessible and provide access to grade-level entrances of covered multifamily dwellings and facilities (e.g., swimming pools, club houses, recreation areas, and laundry rooms) that serve covered multifamily dwellings. Accessible parking spaces shall be provided with signage as required by Section 1109A.8.8. Such signage shall not be blocked from view by a vehicle parked in the space.
The location of accessible parking spaces shall comply with the following:
- Accessible parking spaces shall be located on the shortest possible accessible route to an accessible building, or covered multifamily dwelling unit entrance. All van accessible spaces may be grouped on one level of a multilevel parking facility.
- When parking facilities are located adjacent to a building with multiple accessible entrances, accessible parking spaces shall be dispersed and located near the accessible building entrances.
- When practical, the accessible route shall not cross lanes for vehicular traffic. When crossing vehicle traffic lanes is necessary, the accessible route shall be designated and marked as a crosswalk.
- Parking facilities that do not serve a particular building shall have accessible parking spaces located on the shortest possible accessible route to an accessible pedestrian entrance of the parking facility.
Accessible parking required by this section shall be designed and constructed in accordance with Section 1109A.
All entrances, exits and vehicular passageways to and from required accessible parking spaces within parking facilities, shall have a minimum vertical clearance of 8 feet 2 inches (2489 mm) from the floor to the lowest projection of the ceiling. Reflective warning signs complying with Section 1143A for character height shall be installed at transitions from the 8 feet 2 inch ceiling to lower ceiling heights in vehicular passageways in the same parking level.
Parking spaces shall be arranged to comply with the following:
Where accessible single spaces are provided, they shall be constructed in accordance with the following:
- Single spaces shall be 14 feet (4267 mm) wide minimum, and shall provide a 9-foot (2743 mm) wide parking area and a 5-foot (1524 mm) wide loading and unloading access aisle. Access aisles shall be permitted to be located on either side of the vehicle, and shall extend the full required length of the parking spaces they serve.
- When more than one space is provided, two 9-foot (2743 mm) wide parking spaces may be lined on each side of a 5-foot (1524 mm) wide loading and unloading access aisle.
- The minimum length of each parking space shall be 18 feet (5486 mm).
One in every eight accessible spaces, but not less than one, shall be van accessible and shall be constructed in accordance with the following:
- The minimum length of each space shall be 18 feet (5486 mm).
- Each space shall be designated "van accessible" as required by Section 1109A.8.8.
- All van accessible spaces may be grouped on one level of a multilevel parking facility.
Each accessible parking space reserved for persons with disabilities shall be identified by a reflective sign consisting of the "International Symbol of Accessibility" complying with Section 1143A.8. The sign shall not be smaller than 70 square inches (4516 mm2) in area, and shall be posted 60 inches minimum above the finish floor or ground surface, measured to the bottom of the sign. Signs located on accessible routes shall be posted at a minimum height of 80 inches (2032 mm) above the finish floor or ground surface of the accessible route, measured to the bottom of the sign.
Signs identifying accessible parking spaces shall be visible from each parking space they serve, and shall be permanently posted immediately adjacent to the parking space or within the projected parking space width at the head end of the parking space. Signs may also be permanently posted on a wall at the interior end of the parking space.
An additional sign shall also be posted in a conspicuous place at each entrance to off-street parking facilities or immediately adjacent to and visible from each accessible stall or space. The sign shall not be less than 17 inches (432 mm) by 22 inches (559 mm) in size with lettering not less than 1 inch (25.4 mm) in height, and shall clearly and conspicuously state the following:
"Unauthorized vehicles parked in designated accessible spaces not displaying distinguishing placards or special license plates issued for persons with disabilities will be towed away at the owner's expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at ____________________ or by telephoning__________."
In addition to the signage requirements, each accessible parking space shall have a surface identification complying with either of the following:
- The parking space shall be outlined or painted blue, and shall be marked with the "International Symbol of Accessibility" in white or a suitable contrasting color. The "International Symbol of Accessibility" shall be 36 inches (914 mm) wide by 36 inches (914 mm) high minimum, with the centerline 6 inches (152 mm) maximum from the centerline of the parking space, its sides parallel to the length of the parking space, and its lower side aligned with the end of the parking space.
- The parking space shall be marked with the "International Symbol of Accessibility", in white on a blue background, 36 inches (914 mm) wide by 36 inches (914 mm) high minimum in size. The centerline of the "International Symbol of Accessibility" shall be 6 inches (152 mm) maximum from the centerline of the parking space, its sides shall be parallel to the length of the parking space, and its lower side shall be aligned with the end of the parking space length.